Monday, January 08, 2007

 

Who's Your 'Nati

What a great article by Joe Wessels in the Saturday Post. Boy, have I been waiting for this story to be written! And it is all the result of Maggie Van Cantfort of Madisonville, and her love-letter campaign for Cincinnati. I think it's an awesome idea. I composed the letter below and sent it in. I encourage all of you to do the same. It's time the media understands that we don't all hate Cincinnati. We're excited about the city we have today, and even more excited about the city and region we have the potential for. And it's time the media takes note and plays along.

Here is my letter... compose yours and go here to read others and post your own:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lovecinci/

--------------------------------

Where shall I start. Born here, I had my chances to leave. I left you and spent time in New York City, NY, Portland, ME, Seattle, WA. I've visited all 50 states and found many places I enjoy (some places I even go back to year after year - like Austin, TX). But Cincinnati is the place I love. Why do I love you? Let me count the ways.

You're a big city with a small town feel. You have a huge heart, with Fountain Square beating proudly. You have wonderful neighborhoods, each with a unique character. The diverse and inclusive bohemian neighborhoods for Northside and Clifton. The shopping/entertaining meccas of Hyde Park/Oakley/Norwood. You have seven hills (though I've yet to figure out which of the 7 are 'official'). You have tremendous views from atop Mt. Adams, and a great neighbor across the river in Northern Kentucky.

You have a tremendous arts and music scene, without the big city price tags. From Know Theater to Ensemble Theater to Aronoff to Playhouse in the Park there is no lack of stage productions. The music venues from small (the Comet), to huge (Taft Theater), and everything in between (Southgate House). I could fill a list a mile long of the off-the-beaten path bars and restaurants that are each filled with friendly smiling people. From Mr. Pitiful's in OTR, to Northside Tavern. The celebration of German heritage at the Hofbrahaus. The celebration of eras gone-by at Tropicana.

Boy do I love the food! Give me a three-way (and I'll take it from Skyline, GoldStar, Camp Washington, Dixie or Pleasant Ridge)! WHen I'm finished with that, I might just run down to the boathouse for some ribs, and finish it off with a bowl of Graeter's. But tomorrow, I'll be sure to swing by Dewey's pizza, and then wash it all down with an ice cold Hudy Delight or maybe a Christian Moerline, and I'll do it all while taking in some tunes by Jake Speed and the Freddie's at our oldest bar - Arnold's.

These are just a few things I love about you, Cincinnati! But what I haven't mentioned yet, is why I really love you Cincinnati, it's your citizens! I have found no where that people are so gracious, so friendly. You can rant and rave about southern hospitality all you want, but nowhere have I found people more energetic, more willing to lend a hand and share a laugh. I have a tremendous group of friends and family that also share this love!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?