Saturday, September 03, 2005

 

Pre-season Football - Stealing $55 without Charity

Okay, I've got a lot of comments on last night's destruction of the Indianapolis Colts by the Cincinnati Bengals. But let me first say, I am a HUGE Bengals fan, love the team and am excited about the season, which will hopefully be the first playoff year in quite some time. I am a season ticket holder and will be attending at least 4 of the 8 road games this year.

It was GREAT to see a large crowd at the game, and WONDERFUL to see $62,000 donated by the fans to the American Red Cross.

Now this is where my concern begins. Not only was I forced to pay $55 for a pre-season game (they make season ticket holders buy pre-season tickets), but the fans also forked out $60k for Hurricane Relief. This money wasn't matched by the Bengals, they didn't offer up (as far as I know) any of their own money for relief.

What would I have liked to see? I would have liked to see them say they'd donate all $55 of any ticket that was purchased this week for the game. I.e. tickets still available, come out to the game, and the ticket sale will be donated by the Bengals. Or, we'll match every dollar that is donated. Or, since we're charging regular season prices for a game in with only 2 of 22 Colts starters stepped on the field, we are donating 1/2 of all ticket sales for the game to Katrina....

I don't know, I don't care, all I am saying is that for a game that doesn't count, that Indy didn't think was important enough to play a single offensive starter it seems odd to me that you ask me for $55 to attend, and then set up collection booths out front.

Maybe I'm way out of line... But I'll make my donation to Red Cross elsewhere.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?